French Toast Cups
- 1 Vanilla Protein Shake
- 6 large eggs
- 2-3 tbsp lowfat milk
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (light brown sugar can be used)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt salt
- 14-15 cups bread cubes
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- Fresh fruit, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk all the eggs together. Once mixed, measure the vanilla protein shake to get 1 and 1/2 cups liquid. The protein shake fills most of that amount, but top off the remaining amount of liquid with milk to ensure you have 1 and 1/2 cups. Add to the eggs.
- Add the coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir until combined and smooth. Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes and measure to get around 14-15 cups. Gently toss the cubes with the egg mixture and then cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Remove, toss again gently, and return to the fridge for another 15 minutes.
- Generously grease a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Add the bread mixture evenly into each cavity pressing down on each one as needed to fit into the cavities. The mixture should be the perfect amount for the 12 cavities.
- Bake for 20-27 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes. Gently coax (using a butter knife as needed) out of the muffin tin and onto plates. Serve with pure maple syrup and fresh fruit as desired.
Credit: Chelsea’s Messy Apron