Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 large egg white, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla stevia
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup + 2tbsp Winter Mint Chocolate Protein Shake
For the frosting
- 2 cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 servings sugar-free, fat-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 5/8 tsp vanilla stevia
- To prepare the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners, and coat the liners with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, egg whites, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and vanilla stevia. Stir in the Greek yogurt. Stir in 2 tablespoons of protein. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and the remaining protein shake, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the flour mixture in 3 equal parts.)
- Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners. Bake at 350°F for 21-24 minutes or until the centers feel firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes bake, prepare the frosting. Add the Greek yogurt, cocoa powder, instant pudding, and vanilla stevia to a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Cover the top of the bowl with foil, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, pipe the chocolate frosting on top just before serving.