Chocolate Ice Cream With Caramel Sauce
|Amount Per Serving||
*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
- 1 Chocolate Protein Shake
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 bag (10 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (measured when solid)
- 3 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp almond butter
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Optional: additional dark chocolate to top the ice cream with
- Wash and scrub the sweet potato. Pierce with a fork several times over the potato. Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 5 minutes, flip and microwave for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool. Meanwhile, place the bag of chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in increments of 20 seconds, stirring in between each increment for 15 seconds until smooth and melted. Set aside.
- The sweet potato should be cool enough to touch now. Remove the skins and then THOROUGHLY mash the potato. Pack into a measuring cup to get exactly 3/4ths a cup. Place in a large blender.
- Add the melted chocolate to the blender (use a spatula to scrape every bit of chocolate from that bowl!) along with the vanilla, sea salt, coconut sugar*, and finally the Chocolate Protein Shake
- Place the lid on the blender and blend on high for at least 1 minute or until ingredients are completely smooth and incorporated.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer’s directions (I have a Cuisinart and it took about 30 minutes to get to soft serve consistency) then transfer to an airtight container and place in the freezer to continue firming up. Freeze for 2-3 hours before enjoying.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, it will still work just a little more effort Place the mixture in an airtight container in the freezer. Stir every half hour for 2-3 hours or until the mixture is ice cream consistency.
- Add the (solid) coconut oil and maple syrup in a microwave safe bowl. Melt in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir and return for another 30 seconds or until melted and smooth. Stir in the almond butter and whisk until smooth. Add in the sea salt and vanilla extract and again whisk to combine.
- Set aside, leaving at room temperature, to firm up for about 30 minutes. Top the ice cream with the sauce and a few chocolate chips if desired.
Credit: Chelsea’s Messy Apron