5 Late Night Snacks That Won't Weight You Down
Come along with us for five snack ideas to help you nourish those nighttime woes.
Okay, now that you’ve got 7 nourishing breakfast ideas to jumpstart your day, you’re probably wondering: what about those late-night cravings? If you don’t feed them, they’ll likely keep you up. But if you give them the wrong thing, they could really weigh you down. So, what’s a hungry human to do? (You know we always have your back!) Come along with us for five snack ideas to help you nourish those nighttime woes.
It’s true. Nuts (and now these nachos) are considered good for sleep thanks to essential minerals like zinc and magnesium. Plus, they’re a delicious source of protein. So, plate it up and put your hunger pangs to rest.
Pro tip: the thinner you slice your apple, the longer this sweet and salty late-night snack lasts.
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop Premier Protein Powder of choice
- 1 tbsp nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts, etc.), chopped
- Flaky sea salt, to finish
- Layer apple slices on a plate.
- Whisk almond milk and protein powder in a bowl until you reach a thick, frosting-like consistency.
- Drizzle sliced apples with protein frosting.
- Top with chopped nuts and a pinch of sea salt.
- Dive in!
BANANA ICE CREAM
Those bananas you keep forgetting about? Yeah, you know the ones. They’re a fantastic source of potassium to help improve your quality of sleep—and perfect for this late-night sweet treat. Add a handful of nuts or a splash of protein shake, and you have yourself a nourishing and satisfying midnight snack match made in heaven. Enter: heart-eyes emoji.
- 1 Bananas & Cream Protein Shake
- 3 medium very-ripe bananas
- Mini chocolate chips
- Place bananas and Bananas & Cream Protein Shake in a food processor or high-powered blender, blend until creamy.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and place it in the freezer for about 4 hours. If the mixture gets too hard, let it soften for about 10 minutes.
- Top with mini chocolate chips.
CHOCOLATE PROTEIN POPCORN
It’s officially unofficial: popcorn is the late-night snack of champions. With a great source of whole grains and undeniable crunch, we’re big fans. Toss it in some creamy peanut butter and chocolatey protein powder and you have a winning PM snack on your hands—literally.
- 1 bag unbuttered popcorn
- 2 scoops Chocolate Milkshake Protein Powder
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Optional: 1 cup chopped strawberries
- Pop the popcorn, place into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and peanut butter together and stir. Add in the chocolate chips and heat for 15 seconds more, stirring until smooth. Mix in the protein powder and stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate sauce over the popcorn and stir until well combined with kernels.
- Freeze for 10-15 mins until set.
- Optional: Serve with chopped strawberries.
CUCUMBER & TURKEY ROLL-UPS
Craving something a little more substantial? These fresh and savory bites will do the trick! Not only is turkey a good source of protein, but it’s an excellent source of vitamins and minerals—AKA a delicious win-win!
- 1 cucumber
- 3 tbsp hummus
- 3-4 slices of turkey
- Seasoning of choice. Some of our favorites: everything but the bagel seasoning, paprika, garlic powder
- Slice cucumber with a vegetable peeler lengthwise to make long, thin strips.
- Blot cucumber slices with a paper towel to soak up excess moisture then smear a spoonful of hummus across each one.
- Sprinkle with seasoning of choice then top with turkey.
- Roll them up and take a bite!
Skip the bag of potato chips and treat yourself to this crispy, crunchy, crave-worthy snack. Not only are roasted chickpeas easy to make, but they’re totally customizable, they keep well and just a half cup can help you feel full enough to catch some Zs.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil (avocado oil works great, too!)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dry chickpeas with a towel then pour them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Toss with olive oil and salt.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove chickpeas from oven, toss in spices, cool slightly and enjoy!
- Love ‘em? (We knew you would!) Try these flavor combinations next: cinnamon & sugar, sriracha & lime, lemon & cracked black pepper. The options are endless!
What’s your go-to snack cure for late-night cravings? Let us know on Instagram @PremierProtein