Orange and Vanilla Butternut Squash Soup
- ½ cup Vanilla Protein Shake
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 ½ cup chopped leek, white and light green parts only
- 2 tbsp medium or dry sherry
- 1-quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line baking sheet with foil. In large bowl toss squash with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt, cardamom and nutmeg. Place on baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, stirring halfwaythrough cooking time.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in 3-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks, reduceheat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often, until caramelized.
- Remove squash from oven and add it to the leeks. Stir in sherry and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat tomedium low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend using an immersion blender or blender until desired consistency. (If using astandard blender, let soup cool slightly before blending.) Reheat if desired. Stir in orange zest, Vanilla Protein Shake, remaining salt and pepper. Serve immediately.